Terms and Conditions
Students may reserve a specific time slot for weekly lessons at the monthly tuition rate, regardless of the number of weeks in the month. If students on the monthly plan attend classes regularly, they receive a free lesson each quarter.
To get the most out of their lessons and their tuition, students should attend lessons weekly and do their homework each week. If students cannot make the scheduled lesson time, we offer other options: email lessons, online lessons, remote editing, parent conferences, and learning labs.
We cover these and other questions in the FAQ below.
- The student emails his/her tutor any completed homework from the previous week.
- The tutor reads and comments on the homework.
- The tutor emails the homework comments, a new reading assignment, new vocabulary words and definitions, a grammar assignment, and an essay assignment.
- The student completes the emailed homework and brings it to the next one-to-one lesson.
- The student meets the tutor on Zoom, Skype, or Google Chat at the regularly scheduled lesson time.
- These lessons must be scheduled in advance as they may require additional set-up for our office. Canceling with less than 48 hours' notice will result in an email lesson, not an online lesson.
- The student completes any homework assigned during the online lesson and brings it to the next one-to-one lesson.
- The student sends his tutor an essay that the student is working on for school.
- The tutor reads the essay, making suggestions and corrections, and emails the results to the student.
- If you take this remote editing option, the tutor must agree to the turnaround time. We typically require at least 48 hours, but check with your tutor first.
- Parents attend a session to discuss the student's progress, or to discuss general questions about school curricula, test prep, or college planning.
- These one-hour labs are held in our Sunnyvale office. Offered times may change from time to time, so please contact our office to find out when the labs are currently offered.
- The group consists of 1-6 students, although most labs end up being one-to-one.
- The instructor covers a challenging reading assignment, as well as vocabulary, grammar, and writing instruction.
- Students may receive homework that they should complete and review at their next one-to-one lesson.
Learning labs are not walk-in lessons. Please make an appointment first by contacting our scheduling manager at email@example.com.
Learning labs, editing sessions, or conferences must be taken in a month tuition is being paid. Generally, clients have twelve months to make up a missed lesson.
Absences: What to do
- Please email the tutor and the scheduling manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you give the scheduling manager at least 48 hours' notice, you are eligible to make up the lesson with a learning lab, remote editing, a parent conference, or an online Zoom lesson. Please state your preference in your email.
- If you cancel with less than 48 hours' notice, please send your homework to your tutor before the lesson you will miss. Your tutor will review that homework during your regular lesson time and send you an email lesson.
- If your absence occurs within range of a five-week month, we reserve the right to cancel your free lesson.
- We will hold your spot for an extended period of time if you continue to pay tuition and (a) receive lessons via email or Zoom, or (b) arrange to make up your missed sessions by participating in our learning labs when you return.
- If you leave and re-enroll later, we cannot guarantee that you will receive the same tutor upon your return. We fill spaces in tutors' schedules on a first-come, first-serve basis. We can place you on your preferred tutor's waiting list if you attend lessons with another tutor in the interim.
- Tutors' Sick Days: In accordance with California law, we have a sick day policy. A tutor can designate up to three lessons per year as sick or personal days. When a tutor needs to designate a day as a sick or personal day, the students affected will receive a free learning lab. Our tutors understand that they should use sick or personal days responsibly. Thank you for helping us to comply with California law.
- From time to time, we may need to provide a substitute tutor. In those cases, the substitute will have full access to the student's records and a complete lesson plan to work with.
- We do not credit lessons or offer make-up lessons when the student declines a lesson with a substitute tutor.
In order to protect our tutors from the flu, sick students will be sent home. We cannot afford the added risk of a tutor's becoming sick and passing the illness to other students.
If your child is sick and you still wish to receive a lesson, please arrange to take the lesson via Zoom at your student's regularly scheduled lesson time. If you wish, you may receive an email lesson in place of the regular lesson. We thank you for your understanding of this matter.
Tutors' Sick Days
In 2014, California Governor Jerry Brown created the Healthy Workplaces, Healthy Families Act of 2014. This act requires all California employers to provide paid sick leave for their employees. There are no exceptions for small businesses.
To comply with this law, Improve Your English has created a sick leave policy for its tutors. Tutors may designate up to three lessons per client per year as sick or personal days. Here's what the policy means for you:
- Tutors may designate a tutoring session as a sick or personal day. You will be informed through email when this happens.
- For lessons designated as sick or personal days, students will not receive a substitute tutor, a 1-1 makeup session, or email editing of a school assignment; instead, the student will be entitled to a learning lab.
- The learning lab may be taken at any point in the next twelve months.
Please bear in mind the following:
- Sick / personal days do not accrue from one year to the next.
- Tutors are expected to use personal days responsibly; your tutor will not necessarily use three lessons per year as sick / personal days.
- If students pay for the entire year, they receive, as in the past, four free lessons per year; for example, if your lesson is on Tuesday, you receive a fifth lesson, free of charge, in months that have five Tuesdays.
- Effectively, to comply with the new California law, we need to convert some of the lessons that we were offering for free to possible sick / personal days.
Thank you for assisting us in complying with California law.
We reserve your spot as soon as we receive payment for one month's tuition and the enrollment fee. Your second month's tuition will be pro-rated if you began lessons during the middle of the month. Afterwards, you should pay the standard rate monthly. Please see this table for current rates.
We require payment by the 7th of each month. Failure to make timely payments may result in late fees or loss of your reserved tutoring slot. For your convenience, we accept payment for multiple months in advance; we are also happy to arrange PayPal invoices for credit/debit/online payment.
If you and your tutor agree to a long-term schedule change, please inform email@example.com in order to ensure proper scheduling and billing.
Suspending or Canceling Tutoring
We require 14 days' notice for suspending or canceling lessons. As a courtesy, we ask for one month's notice.
Our office will close for about a week in December around the holiday break. Any lessons missed during winter break can be made up with one hour of proofreading per missed 1-1 hour or two hours of learning labs per missed 1-1 hour. We will offer several special learning labs in December in addition to our regularly scheduled learning labs.
Other Terms and Conditions
We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. We expect clients to comply with our policies and treat our tutors with respect. We encourage clients to establish general goals for the tutoring; however, we do not permit clients to control the details of the tutoring process. If clients push to receive a service that we do not offer, we will encourage them to work with someone else.
Please do not solicit Company instructors for any reason. This includes, but is not limited to, soliciting instructors for private tutoring or admissions consulting, attempting to sell any item to instructors, requesting instructors to fill out surveys, petitions, or other forms, and soliciting an instructor for the purpose of starting any kind of tutoring business.